I've been thinking about what I need. Because I am staying with a host family, I will need only a little bit of money for food, and I will not be expected to pay board. I do need some basic technology.
I'm hoping for a cheap digital camera, one I won't mourn too much if it gets lost, but one that takes decent pictures. I found one for 129 at the Radio Shack near my house, which isn't too bad.
Here's a bit of a list I've thought of:
- digital camera
- my laptop (for blogging and email purposes)
- work clothes (depending on where I'm working. Either a daycare or a museum. Different dress codes, for sure!)
- metro pass
- stationary for snailmail (I'm a sucker for letters)
- French cd sets for the trainride. Also known as last minute cramming.
- French/English dictionary pocket and home edition
- bathing suit
- cell phone
So that's a basic list I've got now.
I get paid next week, so hopefully I can get that camera. I still have to convince my mom that I won't lose the laptop or set it on fire or whatever she thinks I'll do to it while she can't guard it.
I''m also working on a personal lexique of words and phrases I'll need to memorize. I'm amassing info now, and I'll look for a notebook soon.